Wednesday, January 13, 2010

great holiday....






Just for bragging rights i wanted to post some pics from our mexican vacation over christmas....Jess, Henry, and i went to cabo san lucas, one of my favorite places in the world, for 2 weeks of good times. I had been to cabo a few other times before this one, but i surfed on those trips and didnt fish. This trip i put my energy toward fishing and had the best fishing experience i've ever had (and i've had plenty). Over 4 trips I caught 6 striped marlin, a bunch of mahi, and 3 roosterfish, and believe it or not, the highlight was catching the roosterfish even though they were by far the smallest fish i caught there at only 5-10 pounds. The reason is i hadnt ever caught one and really wanted to. I've caught marlin and mahi before, but the rooster has eluded me and they are on the list of great fish to catch for all fishermen. They get upwards of 75 pounds, but this time of year the bigger fish are all out in deeper water. It was a real thrill to catch that first one and see his dorsal fin up and slicing through the water as i reeled him in....the other amazing thing to me down there was the quality of the mexican fishing boat captains. The boats were very small, the tackle was old, but the captains i fished with were some of the best i've ever fished with. They take fishing very seriously. In alot of tourist destinations the captains are so so, but in cabo that wasnt the case. I've already started scheming to get back down there and photograph the mexican fisherman, I think it would make an excellent book. Think old man and the sea meets my jesse james book....

No comments: